Built upon thirty years of experience in tube guitar amp design and manufacturing, the RAPTOR III is our flagship amplifier – our best and most feature-rich to date – and it truly delivers. As the head of the RAPTOR family of all-tube amplifier heads, this amp features everything the modern guitar player demands – and even more.
We designed this amp to address the factors which guitar players demand – great sound, versatility, solid build quality, appearance and ease of use. With this goal in mind and our legendary “no compromises” approach, it’s no wonder that we ended up creating a product which truly stands out from the rest of the crowd.
- Strictly all-tube circuitry – built upon our latest developments in guitar tube circuits combined with classic, time-proven designs; there is not a single semiconductor touching the signal path;
- Three channel, six 12AX7 hi-gain design;
- Separate 3-band EQ section (BASS, MIDRANGE, TREBLE) for each channel lets you adjust each channel’s sound precisely, without any shared-EQ limitations;
- Separate VOLUME control for each channel for easy setup;
- The CLEAN channel’s fully independent circuitry allows you to fully utilise this channel’s real-clean dynamic headroom without any shared circuitry sonic limitations;
- Eight TONE PRESETS (three on CLEAN & RHYTHM plus the LEAD’s two) lets you to create your own unique tone on each channel;
- The CLEAN channel’s BRIGHT switch lets you to add sparkle to the sound;
- Two independent switchable MASTERs with activity indicators allows you to set two discrete overall output levels;
- The LEAD channel’s independent PRESENCE control lets you to roll off highs for smoother, more pleasant soloing;
- Bypassable, channel-assignable, remote ready, tube driven serial FX LOOP equipped with variable, independent SEND and RETURN levels lets you not only combine this amp with any effect that you like, but also to change the colouring of the sound even when no effect is in use. In addition, a dedicated LED indicator on front panel shows the loop’s on/off status;
- Manual channel switch on front panel for easy operation;
- EXTERNAL SWITCHING jacks allows you to operate all of the amp’s basic functions (CLEAN, RHYTHM, LEAD, MASTER A/B & FX LOOP) remotely via any simple switch, MIDI-driven switcher or similar switching device;
- Dedicated six button digital foot controller (model FS-6D, sold separately) lets you operate the amp seamlessly over three-pin, locked, XLR-equipped, fully detachable regular symmetric wire – you don’t need to worry about cracking multiwires or unstable DIN/PC connectors anymore;
- Unique possibility to combine all types of switching options at the same time for maximum usability;
- Variable POWER AMP OPERATION selectors allows you to lower the default 100W output power (courtesy of quad of 6L6s (standard) or EL34s (upon request) to 50W (two ways) or up to 25W when needed. You can even experiment with the settings, as each one has its own unique sonic characteristics. All power tubes are engaged, regardless of which output mode is selected, so the output transformer is still ideally loaded, resulting in the excellent sound dynamics even at lower volumes;
- 4 (2×8), 8 (2×16) & 16 Ohm five speaker outputs lets you to connect any speaker desired;
- Both pairs of the power tubes are fused independently for increased reliability and usability;
- A variable SLAVE OUT direct power stage output lets you to connect the amp to Another power amp when higher power is needed;
- Digital control logic circuitry makes the usage of the amp as simple as possible;
- MAINS VOLTAGE SELECTOR lets you set the operating voltage (115/230VAC) with the flip of a switch;
- Hand-wired and hand-soldered; additionally, the power amp section has point-to-point wiring for maximum endurance and reliability;
- Rugged construction – premium birch ply cabinet, nickel-plated 1.5mm thick chassis with brushed stainless steel panels and air vents, three-layer metal front panel design, black buffalo style cloth-backed heavy vinyl covering, custom compound cast metal logo and black chrome-plated brass knobs.
In contrast to many amps on the market today which are targeted to rock guitarists, the RAPTOR III does not sacrifice on clean sounds. The amp’s CLEAN channel runs over its own, carefully designed tube signal path, with a resulting tone that rivals – or exceeds – the best amps out there, even the sought-after vintage classics.
The RHYTHM channel offers a range from ultra-responsive, percussive, moderately overdriven tones all the way to dense, heavy metal overdrive, and the LEAD then complements the amp’s rich sound spectrum with it’s midrange-heavy, mid-to-insane level distortion.
What’s important, however, is that we have designed the amp so to be able to manage highs, even in high-gain situations, preventing it from ever sounding harsh or shrill.
Gone are the days when guitarists needed to have multiple amps to achieve all the sounds they were looking for – the RAPTOR III delivers them all, and does so in spades. It’s musicality and tonal variability are the qualities which explain why these amps are so frequently used in recording studios.
But there is more. Given its extremely natural dynamics, it’s the player’s feel that makes this amp fit whichever style of music you play – be it shimmering, sparkling clean tones, medium-distorted British style crunch or modern, fully saturated American over-the-top hi-gain lead voicing.
Additionally, a wide variety of tones are possible thanks to variable tonal characteristics of each of the three carefully-tuned channels.
For example, the CLEAN channel’s HOT mode lets you easily achieve overdriven tones like the great old tube amps of the late sixties are known for. In another example, you can boost the already strong bottom end of the amp to even more insane levels using the POWER AMP TONE PRESET switch’s FAT or DEEP modes. You can set the amp as you wish, and you will always appreciate the amp’s responsiveness and natural sonic characteristics.
In order to maximize this amp’s fabulous tone, it needs to be matched with a high quality speaker cabinet – or even better, with a cabinet designed specifically for this amp. We therefore strongly recommend to match this beast with our best-in-class GX412-240HXtra or GX412-240LXtra 4x12” guitar enclosure(s) for ideal performance, creating a true guitar powerhouse. With this combination, you’ll be able to truly appreciate this amp’s distinctive tonal qualities.
|Type||All-tube guitar head|
|No. of channels / modes||3 / –|
|Separate EQ for each channel||•|
|Separate VOLUME for each channel||•|
|BRIGHT switch on CLEAN||•|
|TONE PRESETS||• (8)|
|Variable SEND level||•|
|Variable RETURN level||•|
|MASTER facility||• (dual)|
|PRESENCE control||• (dual)|
|RESONANCE (TONE) control||• (3-step)|
|Power output (R.M.S., Watts) / switchable||100/50/25 / •|
|Speaker outputs (Ohm)||16, 8 (2x), 4 (2x)|
|Power tubes dual fusing||•|
|Manual CHANNEL / MODE switch on front panel||• / –|
|Dedicated Foot controller type / included||FS-6D / –|
|EXTERNAL SWITCHING jacks||•|
|Simultaneous control (panel/footswitch/external)||•|
|Digital control logic||•|
|Tubes fitted||6x12AX7, 4x6L6*|
|Mains voltage selector||•|
|Nickel plated steel chassis / welded||• / •|
|Premium birch ply box||•|
|Standard covering / customizable||Black vinyl / •|
|Standard grille cloth / customizable||Black basket weave / •|
|Standard hardware / customizable||Nickel plated / •|
|Dimensions (WxHxD, mm)||650x250x255**|
* EL34 upon request
** Add 15mm to height for rubber feet
Note: Due to continuous development, specifications are subject to change without prior notice